For the safety of all ATLANTI-CON attendees, the following policy towards such items will be strictly enforced. Costumers are expected to read and comply to it completely. Failure to do so will result in warnings and potentially loss of convention membership.
Some very important things to remember first and foremost:
- NO live firearms. Removal of firing pin or bolt does not negate this rule!
- NO prohibited weapons (as defined by applicable Canadian Laws).
- Examples include (but are not limited to):
Bali-Song (“butterfly knife”) or switchblade/dropblade style knives.
Nunchucks, Tonfas, Shurikens, or similarly restricted Martial Arts Weapons, which are illegal under the Criminal Code of Canada (foam models of these items are permitted).
Law Enforcement items such as Batons, Tazers or Mace
- NO Replicas of Contemporary Firearms (i.e. beginning from the era of revolvers – U.S. Civil War forward to any currently manufactured firearms.
- NO metal weapons or yaoi paddles. Metal weapons shall include but not be limited to swords, knives and daggers. (Plastic or wood that LOOK’S like metal is permitted.)
- All weapons must be holstered, sheathed or slung in an approved fashion.
- Weapons will not be drawn or displayed outside of convention function space (except in the privacy of a hotel room), or in any public or crowded area except for specific photo ops areas.
- Due and full consideration must be given to physical safety and peace of mind of other persons at all times, this includes the general public and venue staff, not just other convention attendees.
- All weapons or large props must be checked and authorized by a member of the Convention Staff.
- Any weapons which fail to meet the safety criteria of the Convention Staff must be immediately (and discreetly) returned to storage (e.g.: your hotel room or vehicle) for the duration of the convention or be checked by the Convention Staff. Please note it is your responsibility to pick up your checked weapons. Any props or weapons left with the Convention Staff beyond the close of the convention on Sunday become the property of ATLANTI-CON.
- Convention Security and Convention Staff reserve the right to inspect weapons and convention badge markings at any time. Any signs of tampering will be referred to a Convention Staff member for confirmation of authenticity.
- Horseplay (of any kind, whether participants are consenting parties or not) with weapons will not be tolerated. All persons involved may be penalized depending upon the nature of the severity of the offense. All complaints of behavior of this nature will be dealt with immediately by ATLANTI-CON.
- Failure to adhere to one or more of the above rules will result in any or all of the following penalties being swiftly enforced:
- Immediate loss of the privilege to carry weapons;
- Expulsion, without refund, from ATLANTI-CON;
- Any act of gross negligence or public endangerment may result in criminal charges beyond the control of ATLANTI-CON (please remember that the general public may have no idea that the convention is in progress and may react in the extreme if they feel threatened)
- Use common sense. Your safety, the safety of the other contestants, the safety of our judges and the safety of our audience is more important to us than your costume. The walkway is 2 feet in the air so make sure your mask/helmet doesn’t obscure your vision.
- You must have paid admission for the Convention in order to enter/be on stage for the costume contest.
- Entry forms will be available in your registration bags OR at the registration desk. We are not responsible for the judges lack of knowledge of your character. There is space on the entry form to tell us who you are so take advantage of that.
- Your costume cannot use smoke, pyrotechnics of any kind, or any kind of projectiles that leave the costume.
The decision of the Convention Staff members are final and will be strictly enforced to ensure a safe environment for all convention attendees.